Sunday, November 27, 2011

Roasted turkey

Thanksgiving is over and guests have gone. We had a lot of fun, and a lot of good food.
Everyone especially liked the turkey we had; it was so tender and juicy, so I thought I would tell
you how I fixed  it. It was a combination of what I watched my Mother do when I was young, an article  in the local newspaper, and a recipe on Oprah's website.
I remember my Mother getting up in the middle of the night to put the turkey in the oven. Well, I changed that up a little :>). We had a 20# turkey so I washed it well, salt and peppered  inside and out, sprinkled with a lot of Thyme (one of my favorite herbs); soaked a thin towel in melted butter and covered the turkey. Put it in a roaster pan on the rack, and put it in a preheated oven (500 degrees) for 30 minutes. When the fire alarm kept beeping, I turned it down to 275 degrees; this was about 10:30PM. I went to bed and in the morning about 8:30 AM I checked the temperature of the turkey (180 degrees) and it was done. I poured the drippings out of the pan to use for gravy; let the turkey sit in a cool oven until we were ready to cut it. It fell off the bone and was so tasty for 20 people. Had a few leftovers, so we made sandwiches on Friday. There you have it. I just wish I had taken a picture of it so you could see the beautiful golden skin. We won't be waiting until next year to do a repeat; just too yummy!

No comments: